Wednesday, January 8, 2014

to continue blogging...

not sure if I will.  I kind of don't want to see this thing die.  quick update:

1. I played PLO full time for the last half of 2013.  I had some success.  Not any worth bragging about.  I'm stuck playing small stakes due to size of roll and my relatively poor understanding of the game (despite having played about 350k hands of it in the last 6 months of the year).  If I continue to play poker full time in the future I think most all of my play online will be PLO.  I lost interest in studying NLHE and I felt as though I was getting behind the curve.  Added to the fact that I find the environment around online NLHE cash games to be utterly toxic right now, and I really am not that interested in going back into it.  That being said I totally respect the guys that are at the top of that player pool right now, and I think for the right person that is willing to go after it there is still a lot of money to be made.  I had that kind of passion for the game 3-4 years ago.  After black friday and the aftermath I'd say my passion for NLHE mostly died at the beginning of 2013.

2.  I had a nice season of baseball playing in a couple of leagues.  I mostly closed for a few teams, but I did start a handful of games.  I pitch well with a low ERA, WHIP, and something like a 4-1 K/BB ratio with close to 1.5 Ks/IP.  My velocity has dropped due to lingering arm issues.  My arm slot has also dropped.  I also have to deal with a lot of pain now when I throw.  Other than serious surgery and rehab I'm not sure that this a problem I can fix.  But I'm going to keep playing as long as I can be effective.

3.  I failed in my attempt to learn some stats software and/or some programming language.  Mostly I found myself frustrated at either my poor understanding of the lessons (ie I was a beginner and I was being taught at an intermediate level) or my relative lack of interest in the subject matter.  How this impacts my long term career plans I don't really know.  Mostly because I haven't really formulated any long term career plans, but partially because many of the things I'm interested in would require me to add a lot of tools to my relatively bare tech tool box.

4.  The wife is doing very well.  She is a very private person so I won't go into details, but she's a rock star and continues to move towards the top of her field.  Needless to say I brag about her to anyone that will listen. 

I'm going to try and post some 2014 goals in a future post.  And maybe I'll start posting and discussing PLO hands.  I think the blog is a nice way to connect with people, and more importantly it helps add some structure to my personal history.  It's nice to be able to look back at posts I made or people's comments and help color my memories or add context to certain events.

hope any potential readers are doing well, and best of luck to everybody in the coming year.

Jim aka thepizzlefosho

No comments: