Friday, January 10, 2014

hand of the day/the importance of note taking

poker - $1 PL Hi (6 max) - Omaha Hi - 5 players Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (UTG): 233.4 BB
CO: 100 BB (VPIP: 20.09, PFR: 13.73, 3Bet Preflop: 6.28, Hands: 2,915)
BTN: 160.69 BB (VPIP: 22.11, PFR: 13.98, 3Bet Preflop: 3.50, Hands: 16,099)
SB: 33.5 BB (VPIP: 30.23, PFR: 13.95, 3Bet Preflop: 5.26, Hands: 46)
BB: 88.99 BB (VPIP: 50.65, PFR: 21.96, 3Bet Preflop: 9.66, Hands: 392)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 7 8 2 6

Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, BTN raises to 10.5 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 7.5 BB

Flop: (22.5 BB, 2 players) 2 K 5
Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: (22.5 BB, 2 players) 8
Hero checks, BTN checks

River: (22.5 BB, 2 players) A
Hero checks, BTN bets 12 BB, Hero calls 12 BB

BTN shows J T Q 9 (High Card, Ace) (Pre 59%, Flop 58%, Turn 20%)
Hero shows 7 8 2 6 (Two Pair, Eights and Twos) (Pre 41%, Flop 42%, Turn 80%)
Hero wins 44.18 BB

this is a loose raise UTG.  I'm making it because the guys behind me don't often sqz and the players in the blinds are weak.  But in a tough game I think folding with the dangler is probably correct.

of course I get squeezed, so obviously this isn't the desired result.  Folding pf wouldn't be awful, but I think villains very tight 3bet range will allow me to navigate the flop relatively easily.  Plus I can actually rep a wider range on flops when he checks back.

on the flop I've basically missed and my plan is to x/f.  If I had a flush draw I would consider x/r'ing or x/'cing depending on player type, and against this player I'd probably x/c.  However villain to my surprise x's back which means I get to see a free turn.

On the turn I pick up an OESD to go with my two pair.  I almost certainly have the best hand and probably should lead.  For some reason in this hand I made the mistake of checking.  I think my thought process was that if I bet I would get called often and find myself making a tough decision on the river.  Also if I got raised I would like the range I would be facing as villain in this particular hand is very tight for raising the turn and will occasionally slow play a nuts+draw type hand (ie KKdd).  That being said a bet is clearly in order and I screwed up by checking.

when we get to the river I obviously don't love that card.  On one hand it completes a straight draw that neither of us are likely to have.  On the other hand it smacks most tight players value 3betting range (ie AAxx).  A lot of regulars at this level would often play dry AAxx like this on the flop, and occasionally stuff like AQJ5ds that didn't want to have to b/f the flop.  But really I'm mostly worried about AAxx.  So villain bets, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to call so I check my notes and I quickly get the answer.

- doesn't 3bet most AAxx, almost all 3bets IP are rundowns
- doesn't go for thin value.

so right away villain basically has no value hand and I'm always good.  I click call and win a pot.  The hand itself was pretty easy for me to play thanks to villains bad flop play (check back).  So there isn't anything super instructive in a vacuum.  However it does illustrate how taking notes on range construction can help make your life much much easier.  Most players biggest leaks are in range construction whether preflop or post.  And while these tells are always as easy to exploit as a more obvious bet sizing or timing tell, they may be more valuable in the long run. 

best of luck at the tables

jim  

No comments: