Friday, February 15, 2008

making the moniez and throwing the baseballs

February has been a good month all around. First and foremost I'm running really good at poker. I'm making money at both NL and limit, and thoroughly enjoying each game. I haven't been playing enough hours, but I plan on steadily increasing until the end of the month.

Things have really been going well in NL which is a nice change of pace after last month rough period of poor outcomes and poor plays. I'm frequently finding good 2/4 NL games on AP, so I've been playing NL there. I'm focusing on my limit play on the 8/16 - 15/30 games on FTP. The games have seen an influx of new players, so good and some not so good. I'm not sure where the fresh money is coming to in online poker, but the doomsday predictions some people made of online poker's demise seem pretty off base now.

Also last weekend I had a really nice time in Vermont with Katy. We stayed at a little hotel/BnB type place near Stowe. We had a nice large room with a small kitchen, living room type area, and a gas powered fire place. We also had access to a hot tub, and sitting in the hot tub on saturday night while the snow was coming down thick was pretty fun. We ate a couple nice dinners and drank some wine, and had a great weekend.

My workouts have been going well, and both my lower and upper body are definitely getting stronger. I also ran 3 miles in just under 20 minutes the other day, and I hadn't done that in a while. My last two bullpens have been much improved, and feel like I'm really getting a better feel for all of my pitches. I'm actually getting ready to go throw a pen in a few minutes. I'm just waiting till the morning rush hour traffic dissapates a little.

I think I have a good chance to have my first 5-figure month this month. Something I think has been long overdue.

Here are a couple of interesting hands from the last week:

So I 3-bet this TAG pf expecting him to fold most of the time. When he calls I put him on a range of 66-TT and maybe AQs or KQs. My flop bet is fairly standard, but when he calls I think he either has a set or a pkt pair with a backdoor straight draw.

The turn is an obvious check behind for two reasons. First if he has a set he isn't folding, but I'm costing myself a chance to hit a gutshot and win a big pot. Also his range is fairly unaffected by the turn, and my range shouldn't have many Ts in it. So he isn't going to fold if I fire the second barrel. On the river his check really looks like 66, 88, or 99 that is hoping I'm giving up with AK or AQ. I think my bet will look like a bluff a lot of the time, and if he c/r's the river I doubt it is ever a bluff (although it would be a pretty good time for a bluff c/r). So I value bet and get paid off.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $2/$4
6 players
Stack sizes:
UTG: $587
UTG+1: $400
CO: $470
Hero: $400
SB: $407.40
BB: $513.70
Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with 8c jc
UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $14, CO folds, Hero raises to $48, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls.
Flop: 4s 7s 3h ($102, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $72, UTG+1 calls.
Turn: tc ($246, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.
River: jh ($246, 2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $132, UTG+1 calls.
Results:
Final pot: $510
Hero showed 8c Jc
UTG+1 mucks 9h 9c

Here is another: This is one of those call downs that you just have to make against goofy players at midstakes. I thought his flop bet was crap since this guy has a lot of weak stuff in his range, and I think he would likely raise with most broadway hands pf.

On the turn I pick up a pair which puts me ahead of a lot of Ax. The river is a really bad card for me. All broadway hands that had a J just got a pair, and some gutshots came in. But this guy was tilting, and the way this type of player plays he is more likely to check back his weak pairs than bet them. So when he bets the river I think he has a Kx or a bluff. Since most of his Kx hands would have raise pf, I thought my hand was good enough for the call down. Its certainly marginal, but it worked out this time.

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $10/$20
5 players
Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with ad 6s
2 folds, Button calls, SB folds, Hero checks.
Flop: ts ks 5d (2.5SB, 2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets, Hero calls.
Turn: 6c (2.25BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets, Hero calls.
River: jc (4.25BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets, Hero calls.
Results:
Final pot: 6.25BB
Button showed 9d 8d
Hero showed Ad 6s

Well I'm going to head out to throw in a few minutes. I'll probably play a few more hours this afternoon when I get back and finish working out. I had an interesting session going this morning where I was playing HU 5/10 LHE on FTP, and 3 tables of 6-max 2/4NL on AP. I had to quit the HU session on FTP after a while because I was having trouble keeping up with the flow of the match while playing the NL tables.

hope everyone had a nice valentine's day, and thanks for reading. Also I'm still looking for laptop advice, so let me know if you've seen any good deals available.

later,

themightyjim

No comments: