Tuesday, September 9, 2008

August = Best Month of 2008 Part Deux

So I was home all of last week and got in a decent number of hands, but didn't really feel like taking the time to blog. It was nice to be home, but it is tough because my grandparents really aren't well and it is sad to see the way their health and happiness has deteriorated. It is also taking a really heavy toll on my parents who are trying their best to take care of the people that raised and supported them for so many years.

When it was time to get on the plane and head back to Boston I had mixed emotions. I was glad to get back to my apartment and routine and obviously to see Katy (who I notice I miss more now when one of us is away then I did in the past). But I was also reluctant to leave my family since I felt I was in some way helping them get by in this difficult time. I think my parents tend to find my eternal optimism and goofiness refreshing, and I can help deflate some of their stress by doing some chores and being around to talk. I also realize now that every time I see my grandparents it could very well be the last time. And that is just really hard to deal with. I know that I am able to handle this stuff better than most, though I don't know why, but even I have trouble with that thought.

I got back to Boston on saturday afternoon and have put in a couple of sessions since then. So far things have been going very well this month and I have a chance to surpass my best month of the year, which is saying something. And that bring's me to the title of the post. August was my biggest winning month ever in poker. I actually cracked the 20k mark for the month and did even better when bonii and RB were taken into account. All of my play was on FTP and was spread between the 2/4 and 5/10 NL games with a little 10/20 and 15/30 6max LHE thrown in.

Here is the graph: link



So obviously I'm feeling pretty good about my game right now. I think I have improved quite a bit in the last month, and a lot of it has to do with game selecting better, cutting down from 9-12 to 6-9 tables, and trying to avoid bad spew against decent regs especially in 3-bet pots. I've been finding more and more good spots to make some aggressive plays both pre and postflop, and I've also been working more on taking advantage of position in postflop spots instead of just being over aggro in 3-betting (at the same time I'm 3 and 4-betting as much as ever).

thats all for now. I'll try to up the posts over the next few months as I have some interesting trips planned before the end of the year.


cheers


jim

3 comments:

JC said...

Wow, Jim, that's HUGE. Nice run. I envy your success but in a good way. :-)

JC said...

btw, does your chart of financial success take into account the rakeback you receive from FTP?

Jim Perry said...

nah RB wasn't in there. I still get a nice little chunk every month, but it isn't as much as it was when I was playing LHE full time. thanks for the comments, much appreciated.